About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jada Newhouse and I'm a Photography major at Sam Houston State University! I'm not very confident in my own work, but I hope to gain a lot from the WASH program. I have experience in both photography and graphic design thanks to High School yearbook and Dallas Teenage Newspaper. I'm a huge nerd who plays Pokemon and Harry Potter rpg games. I love Harry Potter (Love might be an understatement). I'm easily entertained and an overall great person to get to know! I look forward to meeting many others JUST LIKE ME! :)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Battle of the Popsicle Sticks


I chose the following three because I felt like they were the three things I worked off mainly as I went through the process. I worked not knowing about the questions that would have to be answered later, so when I saw the choices they just spoke to me. 



Craftsmanship:  I started out with a basic structure for my piece, however, I realized that it would have been time consuming to continue on the way I was going. So I changed the way I wanted the final product to look. I decided to continue with the basic structure for a little while longer to show that there was some order to the madness. But in the end, it’s still all a mess. Purposely done because all I could see the entire time was a battle scene. And at the end of a battle, things are pretty. So neither is my piece. All the faces that you see are both representational and not. I’m not sure what face a stick would be making at the end of a bloodbath, so I chose to just put different faces on them all. I don’t think it’s distracting because of the effect I was going for. It’s madness, but it works at the same time.

Process/Ambitiousness: I think I was ambitious when it came to the number of popsicle sticks I had to use in the end, it was just about 1300. Though I do feel it could have been more ambitious. It changed a lot from the initial imagining to the final piece. I initially wanted to build a 5ft tower, but after 4 hours of work I only had an 8inch tower. So I changed what I was going to do since time was quickly running out.  I think my initial idea was definitely more ambitious, in size especially. But I also think my final piece is pretty ambitious in meaning.

Presentation: I chose to put my piece here because I wanted it to be by something colorful. Since popsicle sticks have no color, I didn’t want it to “blend in” to other neutral colored pieces. It’s actually ironic that I chose to put it next to color considering that the sticks on the floor leading away from the color have dead facial expressions. So in a way, Alexandra’s piece impacted the impression of my piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment