About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jada Newhouse and I'm a Photography major at Sam Houston State University! I'm not very confident in my own work, but I hope to gain a lot from the WASH program. I have experience in both photography and graphic design thanks to High School yearbook and Dallas Teenage Newspaper. I'm a huge nerd who plays Pokemon and Harry Potter rpg games. I love Harry Potter (Love might be an understatement). I'm easily entertained and an overall great person to get to know! I look forward to meeting many others JUST LIKE ME! :)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

POPSICLE STICKS!

   So the item I chose to get 100+ of was popsicle sticks. I decided on them because I remember using them in art way back in elementary school. Emily T said I should use water color and paint the ends of them and say I ate that many popsicles. But considering the weather, I doubt anyone would have believed that. xD
    First a brief history about popsicle sticks. They were invented by an eleven year old named Frank Epperson in 1905. So they're more than a hundred years old! Before they were "popsicle" sticks, they were "Epsicle" sticks. Epperson came by the idea on accident during a cold winter season. He had left his fruit flavored soda outside on the porch with a stir stick in it, but when it had frozen over and he tasted it, he thought it was a delicious treat. From there it took him 18 years to develop the idea of frozen ice on a stick. Soon it was named Epsicle Ice Pop. Later his children renamed it Popsicle as we know it today. He sold his Popsicle idea to the Joe Lowe Company of New York and Good Humor now owns the "Popsicle Rights".  (I got my information from: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blpopsicle.htm)
   So anyway, here are a few things I came up with while "playing" with my object(s). We had TONS of fun!
I listened to my object..

Then I smelled it!

I tasted it...gross.

I examined it very closely!

Then we took a much needed nap!

This is the natural form it fell in.

But I had to push it aside. :(

I made a box!


Then a house..?


IDK


After all of this work, me and my sticks decided to have some real fun!

 First we went to the beach and watched the sunset. Isn't it beautiful?
 Next we went on a roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas. This was so much fun, but we were both sooooo scared! :)
After that we traveled down to Cozumel, Mexico and scubadived with the fishes! :D












We ended the day in Paris, France.

What an exciting time we had! :D
We hope you enjoyed our photos!









Here are a few pictures of things other people made with popsicle sticks!
3810893242_f98b544ff1.jpg
I suggest everyone look at the website I listed for this next one, you can see the whole process!!
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/playable-guitar-made-with-popsicle-sticks.html

5 comments:

  1. OMGosh i want to take my stuff on a play date to Paris! shouldn't i have gotten to go as a chaperon or something!

    You had the most awesomest play date with your sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll invite you next time for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, Lol Nicee Pix:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i reallllllyyy loved the art..can u plzzzz send me some tips....my email Id is fullofphill09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete